Thursday, October 24, 2019

Epic Road Quest - A. Lee Martinez


   2013; 340 pages.  Full Title: Helen & Troy’s Epic Road Quest. New Author? : No.  Genre : Fantasy; Humor, Quests.  Overall Rating : 9*/10.

    Pity Helen and Troy, they've have been cursed by the gods.  Well, just one god, actually, and it’s a fallen god who’s been kicked out of whatever the place is up in the sky that all the immortals hang out.  He’ doesn't even have a name anymore; now he’s merely referred to as the “Lost God”.

    Still, an exiled god is not to be trifled with, and he’ll only rescind the curse if Helen and Troy go on a quest on his behalf.  It’s a pathetically run-of-the-mill task: “Gather the relics and bring them to the of place of power at the appointed time.”  It should be easy.  Alas, the Lost God is a bit hazy about the details.

    “What kind of relics?”
    “I’m not sure.”
    “How many?”
    “Somewhere between two and six, I think.  Possibly seven.  No more than eight, I feel comfortable in saying.”
    “Where is the place of power?”
    “I don’t know.”
    “What’s the appointed time?”
    “Soonish.”

    Best of luck on your quest, Helen and Troy.  Methinks you’re going to need it.

What’s To Like...
    Epic Road Quest is my second A. Lee Martinez book (the other one is reviewed here), and I found it just as humorous and entertaining as the first one.  The plotline is straightforward: we follow our two protagonists as they go about their quest, aided (within the rules of course) by the National Questing Bureau and proprietors of tourist traps specializing in such matters.  Questing apparently is a popular pastime.

    I liked the dashing group of questers.  Troy is handsome and perfect in every way, Helen is, well, to be blunt, a seven-foot tall minotaur, and Achilles is a three-legged dog, who we all know is really a deity in disguise.  You can’t go wrong with that kind of team.  Along the way, they encounter a nice variety of fantasy creatures, my favorites being the dragons (who are on the endangered list, so don’t even think about slaying one), and the orcs, who constitute the bad guys chasing our heroes on their Harley-Dragonson Twin Cam bikes.  They reminded me of the biker dudes in those old Frankie Avalon/Annette Funicello beach movies ("Release the pigeons!").  I also liked the three fates (these are the small “F” ones) and I do hope A. Lee Martinez uses them again in some of his other books.

    I found Epic Road Quest to be a fast, easy, entertaining read.  The action starts right away (at a burger joint, no less), and thrills and spills and intrigue abound, albeit replete with humor, which is the main reason to read this book.  Yet in amongst the craziness, A. Lee Martinez manages to offer some subtle insight about bigotry, speciesism, and, in a slightly lighter vein, orcish stereotyping.  The latter reminded me of Mary Gentle’s masterpiece, Grunts (reviewed here).  The secondary characters are varied and fun to meet.  I especially liked Nigel, Franklin, and of course Achilles.

    I enjoyed the plethora of details A. Lee Martinez adds to enhance the story.  One of my favorite poets, e.e. cummings, gets mentioned (although the author capitalizes his initials!  Zut alors!).  The Gilgamesh Pez dispenser was cute, and I definitely want Santa to bring me the snow globe with the Library of Alexandria in it.  I was intrigued by the gargoyle’s riddle (given in the excerpts below), and laughed at the stoned orcs scene.  And I admit it: MacGuffins are one of my favorite literary devices.

    The ending manages to be both exciting and warmly humorous, and comes with a couple of twists to keep you make you think.  Everybody gets their just desserts, and three states in the western US avoid obliteration.  The 340 pages are covered by 35 chapters, so you don't have to wait long for a good place to stop reading.  Epic Road Quest is a standalone novel.    One last thing: the “Acknowledgements” section in any book is usually boringly skippable, but here I found it worth reading.

Kewlest New Word ...
Revenant (n.) : a person who has returned, especially supposedly from the dead.

Excerpts...
    “Men seek me out, yet fear what I have to say.  I am unavoidable yet always surprising.  All travelers meet me, regardless of which road they travel, and even if they choose not to travel at all.  I am a burden to many, a joy to a very few, and something only a fool thinks he can know.  What am I?”  (pg. 54, answer given in the comments to this review)

    “Ever since the first cursed orc stepped onto a world that hated him-“
    “Or her,” said Peggy.
    “A world that hated him or her,” he said, “we have been deemed nothing but an inconvenience, minions and savages.  Even when times changed, even when the world became civilized, we were still monsters.  When the hordes of the steppes crushed the armies of warlord Napoleon, no one thanked us.  When my ancestors devastated Alexander of Macedonia’s forces, did the Arabians even give us an ounce of credit?  When my grandfather won the day on the beaches of Normandy, they didn’t even give him a medal.  Just told him to shove off and not make trouble.
    “We’ve always been the whipping boys of destiny’”
    “And girls,” added Peggy.  (pg. 309)

 “Alakazam!  Presto!  For the honor of Grayskull!  It’s clobberin’ time!”  (pg. 65)
    I don’t really have anything to quibble about in Epic Road Quest.  I was looking for a “light” read to balance out the 800-page piece of epic fantasy I was reading (see previous review), and this filled the bill nicely.

   There is some cussing in the book, mostly in the dialogues, so if that offends you, you should probably skip this one.  But personally, I felt it fit in nicely with the book’s tone.

    Some Amazon reviewers felt that this wasn’t one of A Lee Martinez’s best offerings.  I can’t say, since this was only my second book of his, and I thought it was great.  I’ve got a couple more of the author’s books on my Kindle, so I should be better acquainted with his output in the near future.

    9 Stars.  If you're looking for a lighthearted adventure, well-written, with lots of fun plus a few moments of tenderness thrown in, I highly recommend this book.

1 comment:

Hamilcar Barca said...

Answer to the gargoyle's riddle: your destiny.