1995; 246 pages. New Author? : No. Genres: Cyberpunk; Dystopian Science Fiction; Urban
Thriller. Overall Rating : 7*/10.
Hey, did you ever have trouble getting rid of some
unwanted memory that was stuck in your head? Well, Johnny Mnemonic has that same problem.
Okay, not quite. Actually, he has a data storage chip stuck in
his brain. When it comes to transferring
top secret information, Johnny Mnemonic is much more reliable than computers. Plug a connecting cable into Johnny’s head, upload the file, protect it with a couple of
passwords, unplug when finished, and tell him where to deliver it. Not even Johnny himself can access the chip. It’s foolproof.
Okay, not quite. Someone wants to hijack Johnny’s latest
mission. They may not have the
passwords, but a good hacker can overcome that.
What they need is the data storage chip.
And that can be extracted from Johnny’s brain.
In a most blood-curdling
fashion.
What’s To Like...
Johnny Mnemonic
was originally a short story by William Gibson that appeared in Omni
Magazine in 1981. It was expanded
into an hour-and-a-half movie in 1995 (starring
Keanu Reeves), and Terry Bisson did a 246-page novelization of the
movie in 1995 as well. This review is of
Bisson’s novel.
The main story thread follows
Johnny as he desperately tries to avoid falling into the hands of a crack team
of Yakuza assassins tasked with acquiring the data chip, with or without
Johnny’s presence around it. The book
opens in Beijing, China, but most of the story takes place in Newark, New
Jersey.
The action starts
immediately. Johnny’s clients are in the
middle of uploading the secret files and passwords into Johnny’s skull when the
Yakuza thugs strike. Johnny barely escapes,
and after that, it’s just one thrill after another. He meets a bunch of interesting characters
along the way, not all of which have his best interests in mind.
I liked the dystopian world
setting. The rich are extremely rich and
decadent. The poor are extremely poor
and extremely cautious and cunning. The
street preacher is devout and deadly.
And the dolphin is a computer whiz, but also a heroin junkie. There are some neato futuristic gadgets such
as vidphones and stun clubs, and an innovative way to prolong one’s existence.
Things build to a suitably
tense and exciting climax. Help comes
unexpectedly from a family member. And the junkie dolphin.
Ratings…
Amazon: 5.0*/5, based on 1
rating
and 0 reviews.
Goodreads: 3.79*/5,
based on 12,336
ratings and 206 reviews.
Excerpts...
Yomamma and Pretty didn’t like each other all
that much. They had been man and woman
once, though nobody except themselves could remember which had been the man and
which the woman. Now they were both
women—Ralfi’s amazon gladiator muscle.
Yomamma was black and Pretty was white, but they both had augmented
jade-green eyes and, except for the tone of their skin, they could have been
built out of the same kit: steroid-spectacular biceps, V-2 rocket breasts, hips
like sugar-cured hams and thighs twisted with muscle like bridge cables. There hadn’t been enough meat left over for
brains. (pg. 50)
“I should have known better!” he said.
“Known better than what?”
“Known better than to try to help. All my life I’ve been careful to stay in my
own corner, looking out for number one. No
complications. Now suddenly, according
to Spider, I’m responsible for the entire f**king world, plus everybody
and his mother is trying to kill me, which is totally unnecessary since
my head is going to blow up first!” (pg.
168)
“So farce, oh
good,” as the Americans liked to say. (pg. 30)
The profanity level was
relatively light in Johnny Mnemonic. I counted just 11 instances in the first 20%
of the book, although three of those were f-bombs. There’s lots of violence and killing,
although I’d rate it PG, not R. I
didn’t notice any typos.
If I had to quibble about anything, it would be that there’s not a lot of depth to the tale. Johnny runs; Yakuza dudes chase; all turns out well in the end. But I think this is inherent when penning a novelization of an action-intrigue movie. And as our real world tries to cope with Artificial Intelligence impacting our lives, perhaps Johnny Mnemonic has a timely message about that. There are also some interesting religious insights offered via the Street Preacher dude.
The movie version of Johnny
Mnemonic generally received poor ratings and I suspect this constrained
Terry Bisson’s literary efforts.
Nonetheless, I’ll be on the lookout for the DVD of this.
7 Stars. One last thing. The paperback version of Johnny Mnemonic at Amazon is limited to one source. When I checked at the time of writing this review (Sept. 23), the price for a used copy was $1,329.50. Yesterday, it was $1,446.56. I got my paperback copy, albeit of a different edition, for $4.00.


No comments:
Post a Comment