Saturday, October 7, 2023

The Relfe Sisters - Richard Herley

   2022; 330 pages.  New Author? : No.  Genres : Family Life Fiction; Romance.  Overall Rating : 8*/10.

 

    It was the best day of Clive Wilson’s life; it was the worst day of Clive Wilson’s life.

 

    On one hand, he saved an eleven-year-old boy’s life by pushing him out of the way of an oncoming Range Rover as he crossed the street.  All the locals are calling him a hero, so maybe this was his best day ever.

 

    On the other hand, Clive didn’t have time to get out of the way of the Range Rover himself, he got clobbered, ended up in the hospital, and now walks with a limp and a cane.  So maybe this was his worst day ever.

 

      Clive doesn’t feel heroic; he thinks that anyone else would have done the same.  So why should he view this as his finest hour?

 

    Well, because if he hadn’t saved the life of little Oscar Northfield, he never would have met Miss Sophie Relfe, the boy’s aunt.  And he never would have fallen in love.

 

What’s To Like...

    Amazon labels The Relfe Sisters a “Family Life Fiction”, which seems like an apt descriptor, although I’d hasten to add you could also call it a Romance.  Clive’s life-saving effort introduces him to three sisters who are all dysfunctional in their own way.

 

    Diana, Oscar’s mom, is the eldest sister and is suffering through a lucrative, but unhappy marriage.  Marianne, the youngest of the three, is divorced, a settlement from which has left her financially okay, but emotionally bitter.  Sophie, the middle sister, has had a couple of wild romantic flings, which have made her fearful of falling in love.  You might say she’s “twice bitten, third time shy”.

 

    The text is a vocabularian’s delight, partly because Richard Herley is an English author, and partly because he is a wordsmith par excellence.  That means there were a whole slew of fascinating terms to suss out.  My favorite one is listed below, but others include: skip-hire, kerb, Hilux, Teasmades, motor-yacht, wheelie-bins, splashback, Dysons, broody, nugatory, brolly, chin-chin, bolshie, pellucid, tannoys, twee, satsuma, coign, pelmet, and snaffled.  I'm a bit embarrassed to note that Spellchecker is familiar with almost all of these.

 

    There are a whole bunch of interesting characters to meet and get to know besides the three sisters.  Mrs. Blennerhassett was one of my favorites, so was Uncle Jerome.  As an American reader, I found Richard Herley’s depictions of modern-day life in England to be delightful, particularly riding the trains and preparing the meals.  The book’s settings, especially London and Surrey, also brought back fond memories, since I’ve visited both while in England on a couple of excursions.

 

    The ending was a very logical wrap-up to the tale.  There weren’t any this-changes-everything twists to it, but Romance lovers will find it satisfying.  The final chapter is a “flash-forward”, and made me say “awwww."

 

Kewlest New Word ...

Subfusc (adj.) : dull and gloomy.

Others: see above.

 

Ratings…
    Amazon:  4.0/5 based on 4 ratings and 3 reviews.

    Goodreads: *.**/5 based on 0 ratings and 0 reviews.

 

Kindle Details…

    The Relfe Sisters currently sells for $3.58 at Amazon.  Richard Herley has 15 other e-books for you; they range in price from free to $4.99.  The freebies are The Penal Colony, Nature Writing, and The Stone Arrow, in three widely different genres.  I’ve only read that last one, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

 

Excerpts...

    Before her marriage she had worked as a librarian: it was at the public library that Julian had met her. Issuing his books one Saturday morning, she had, boldly for her, mentioned that she too was keen on medieval poetry, and Julian, who had never so much as summoned the nerve to ask a girl to the pictures, had thereupon asked her what time she got off, and would she like to have a cup of coffee with him and discuss Piers the Plowman?  (loc. 502)

 

    “I was telling Mr. Wickham here, London is overrun with foreigners.”

    “His name is Wilson.”

    “I know that very well.  I have been testing him.  I wanted to see if he would correct me and he did not.  Not once.  What are you doing with a milquetoast like that, my dear?  He looks like a bank clerk and behaves like one.  At least your other conquests had a bit of spark in them.  Maximilian, for example.  Why did you have to part from him?  He was streets better than this one.  (loc. 2775, and no, I have no idea what the phrase “streets better” means.)

 

“Marry me or be murdered.  It couldn’t be plainer.”  (loc. 3383)

    There’s not much to gripe about in The Relfe Sisters.  The cussing is sparse; I counted just 17 instances in the first 50% of the book.  There are some adult situations and sexual references mentioned, and unless I’m overthinking it, at least one gay relationship.

 

    Sophie definitely gets the most ink of the sisters.  Indeed, when I was about halfway through the book, I was questioning whether Marianne and Diana were impactful enough to merit being included in the title.  But their roles get bigger as the story went on.

 

    That’s all nits I can pick.  For me, The Relfe Sisers was a fast-paced, easy-to-read tale of human relationships that held my interest despite it being in a genre I normally don't partake of.  I wish that more Romance novels were written with this depth.

 

    Finally, if you purchase and read this book, and like it, I recommend next picking up Richard Herley’s Darling Brenda, which is in the same genre.

 

    8 Stars.  One last delightful word that I added to my vocabulary as soon as I ran across it in The Relfe Sisters: “forfuxake”.  Yes, I’m sure it’s a made-up word.  But jeez, it ought to be added to the dictionary.

No comments: