Monday, March 25, 2019

Stalking The Angel - Robert Crais


    1989; 276 pages.  New Author? : Yes.  Book #2 (out of 17) in the “Elvis Cole” series.  Genre : Crime Thriller; Hard-Boiled Mystery; Psychological Thriller.  Overall Rating : 8½*/10.

    Someone has stolen Bradley Warren’s copy of “Recorded Words of the Hagakure Master”, a book about “Bushido”, the code of conduct for samurai warriors who didn’t know how to act when there wasn’t a war going on(Really.  Wiki it.)  Bradley’s copy is an early printing of the book, which means it is worth quite a bit of money.

    Bradley wants the best private investigator on the case, and that happens to be our protagonist, Elvis Cole.  The relationship between the two is immediately and inherently strained; Bradley likes to boss his underlings around (after all, he is paying Elvis good money to recover the book), and Elvis is not the type of guy to take crap from anyone, and in any case does not view himself as one of Bradley’s employees.

    The book is Bradley’s most prized possession, and Bradley has a lot of possessions.  He also has a wife and teenage daughter.  When the thief-or-thieves threaten his family to stop him from attempting to recover the Hagakure, it forces Bradley to reevaluate what’s most important in his life.  After a surprisingly short amount of time, he comes to a startling conclusion.

    Yep, it’s still the Hagakure.

What’s To Like...
    Stalking The Angel, the second book in Robert Crais’s Elvis Cole series, is a fast-paced sleuth story with both lighthearted banter and a dark tone.  Our protagonist, Elvis Cole, reminds me of Bruce Willis’s character in the old TV series, Moonlighting.  He‘s keen of wit, has great tastes in cars (he drives a yellow 1966 corvette), is charming with the dames, and is reasonably rough-&-tough.  And if the bad guys happen to be even tougher than him, he can always send in his rougher-and-tougher partner, Joe Pike.

    I like the setting – the greater Los Angeles area in the 1980’s.  I lived there for three summers in the 1970’s, and the descriptions of the parts of town that Elvis visits in his investigation brought back old memories.  The Tower Records store there was an iconic landmark; so were the Denny’s coffee shops and Bob’s Big Boy restaurants.  I’m not as familiar with the Chinatown and the Japanese sections, so those were fun to get acquainted with.  I think it’s safe to say that Los Angeles is Robert Crais’s old stomping grounds.

    Other bits of pleasant nostalgia were the nods to Disney characters (such as the book’s cover), the Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle, Life magazine, and Salem Lights (are those still around?).  The literary references were neat – Robert Heinlein’s Stranger in a Strange Land, and the pithy “Who watches the Watchmen?” adage.

    The snarky digs at Donald Trump seem eerily prophetic, and I enjoyed the Japanese culture tie-ins, such as the martial arts topics of Bushido, Yakuza and the Hagakure, plus the artistic wood block prints, which I recently read about in the book Paper, reviewed here.

    Stalking The Angel has lots of cussing in it, which I thought fit the ambiance quite well.  The story is told in the first-person POV (Elvis’s), and the 37 chapters cover 276 pages in the Kindle version.

    The ending contains several twists, which is always a plus in a mystery novel.  One major plot thread is left unresolved, but I think that was deliberate and it works well here.  I never did figure out the reason for the book’s title. Stalking The Angel is a standalone novel, as well as part of a series.

Kewlest New Word . . .
Priest (n.) : Apparently slang for a nightstick, although I couldn’t confirm this, even after googling it.

Excerpts...
    Downtown Los Angeles does not feel like Los Angeles.  It is Boston or Chicago or Detroit or Manhattan.  It feels like someplace else that had come out to visit and decided to stay.  Maybe one day they’ll put a dome over it and charge admission.  They could call it Banal-land.  (loc. 386)

    She then reminded me that today was the Pacific Men’s Club Man of the Month banquet.  The banquet was to begin at one, we were expected to arrive at the hotel by noon, and would I please dress appropriate to the occasion?  I told her that my formal black suede holster was being cleaned, but that I would do the best I could.  She asked me why I always had something flip to say, I said that I didn’t know, but having been blessed with the gift, I felt obliged to use it.  (loc. 1039)

Kindle Details...
    Stalking the Angel sells for $7.99 right now at Amazon.  The rest of the books in the series sell for $6.99 to $9.99.  Elvis’s sidekick, Joe Pike, has his own series, and those books are all $9.99.  Robert Crais also has a couple standalone novels; they go for anywhere from $7.99 to $9.99.

Not thinking, properly done, creates a pleasant numbed sensation in the brain that I like a lot.  There are women who will tell you that not thinking is one of my best things.  (loc. 1946)
    There are a couple of nits to pick.  A couple of the characters pop into the story without any background info.  Charlie Griggs is one of them.  This left me confused for a bit, but perhaps they were introduced to the reader in the first book in the series.  There are some inherent advantages to reading the books in a series in order.

    Also, most of the characters seemed black or white to me, and in general, I find that gray characters are more interesting.  In a similar vein, anyone in the book who doesn’t get along with Elvis is a good candidate for not failing to make it to the end of the book.

    But I quibble.  I kinda get the feeling that Stalking The Angel was written in “pulp fiction” style, and as such character depth takes a backseat to an interesting plotline.  The bottom line is, I found the book to be thoroughly entertaining.

    8½ Stars.  According to the Wikipedia article on Robert Crais, Stalking The Angel is the only one of the first 15 books in the series that didn’t get nominated for and/or win a literary award. This means any other Elvis Cole novels that I read should be even more of a treat, and I have several of them on my Kindle and TBR shelf.

No comments: