Thursday, August 30, 2018

Stupefying Stories 21 - Bruce Bethke (Editor)


    2018; 213 pages.  New Author(s)? : Yes, all 9 of them.  Genre : Short Stories; Anthology; Horror; Fantasy; Sci-Fi; Time-Travel.  Overall Rating : 8½*/10.

    Are you old enough to remember The Twilight Zone?  No, not the 1983 movie, although that was great, too.  Rather, the black-&-white TV series that ran from 1959 to 1964.  Rod Serling was the host, and his opening and closing monologues were always memorable.

    I was a devoted viewer of the show, mostly because you never knew what to expect.  One week, it might be a Time-Travel episode, such as The 7th Is Made Up Of Phantoms, where a modern-day tank crew returns to the Battle of the Little Bighorn.  The next week would bring a Horror story, such as Nightmare at 20,000 Feet, featuring an early William Shatner.  (Wiki it.)  Or you might get a Fantasy story, such as Jack Klugman beating Jonathan Winters in a billiards game in A Game of Pool.  Or some weird Science Fiction story, such as the episode with the unforgettable title of To Serve Man.

    The neat thing was, you could never guess what genre you were about to watch, or what the tone would be.  Some episodes were dark and scary.  Others were whimsical or poignant.  In a word, you could call them strange.  Or varied.  Or eerie.  The editor Bruce Bethke has his own word to describe such a diversity in tones and genres.

    He calls them Stupefying.

What’s To Like...
    Stupefying Stories 21 is comprised of nine tales, each by a different author, all of approximately equal lengths, that being about 20 pages apiece.  The titles, Kindle locations, authors, and teasers are:

Table of Contents (spoiler-free)...
01)  The Crippled Sucker (01)L. Joseph Shosty
    Poker on the Polar Express.
02)  My Disrupted Pony (15)Jeff Racho
     Get in and drive.
03)  Cog and Bone (25)M. Lynette Pedersen
    Music and mortality do mix.
04)  Dew Line (37)K.H. Vaughan
    Cold War chills in Canada.
05)  Tendrils Beneath the Skin (49)Derrick Boden
    Here, have a little vine.
06)  The Phoenix of Christ Church (59)Rebecca Birch
    A blitz in Time saves mine.
07)  Lenses (66)Eric Dontigney
    Caught on film.
08)  The Search For Josephine (75)James Mapes
    So you think your in-laws are different?
09)  Wayfaring Stranger (89)Peter Wood
    The soul of ET.

    Stupefying Stories 21 is an incredibly fast and easy read, so if you have a book report due tomorrow and you haven’t even started to read anything, this is the one to choose.  You can easily finish it in a single sitting.

    All of the tales are well-structured and well-written.  I was pleasantly surprised that none of the writers were "weak links", nor did any of the stories feel like they were "mailed in".  Perhaps that merits a tip-of-the-hat to the editor, either for his selection of the writers or for demanding a certain level of quality in the entries.

    Only one of the stories is in the first-person POV (My Disrupted Pony).  There is just a smidgen of cussing, and I only recall one roll-in-the-hay.  I liked the concept of a reverse camera, and enjoyed being introduced to Lok’tus and Chickenpeckers.  Ditto for the music nods to Jim Morrison, Bruce Springsteen, and Beethoven’s Fur Elise.  They all resonated with me; and anytime you mention Jackson Pollock or throw in a bit of French, you’ve got me hooked.  Finally, I hadn’t thought about the (now defunct) DEW Line in ages; thanks for reviving that bit of nostalgia.

Excerpts...
    It had been two years since Reverend Hale had found her huddled on the front steps, cold and shivering in the bleakly gray December of London, 1938.  He hadn’t asked questions, which was just as well.  Mary had no answers to give.  Her last memories were of collapsing into a fitful slumber in 2012, beside the smoldering remains of the blood-stained rug where she’d found her brother, the contents of his skull painting her bedroom in a Pollock-painting spray.  (loc. 1281)

    He never expected to live an extraordinary life and took great comfort in the knowledge that his modest talents supported his modest aspirations.  He lived alone and, although he sometimes thought about marriage, he found women perplexing.  When his friends set him up on blind dates, he went and did his best to be charming.  He was occasionally rewarded with a second date, but never a third.  (loc. 1446)

“It’s like Waiting For Godot but with supply airplanes.”  (loc. 986)
    I’m a bit leery of mentioning my personal favorites from any anthology book, because everyone’s literary tastes are different.  Nevertheless, here are the ones that stuck out in my mind, in no particular order.

    The Phoenix of Christ Church.  Because I'm partial to time-travel stories.

    Tendrils Beneath The Skin and Wayfaring Stranger.  Because both stories ask tough, situational-ethics-type questions.

    The Crippled Sucker.  Because there are very few writers who can make playing poker on a train into a fascinating story, and that was the case here.

    Your faves will almost certainly be different from mine.  A reviewer at Amazon cited My Disrupted Pony as a stand-out story, and I certainly can’t disagree with that choice, or any other selection.

    8½ Stars.  I can’t think of anything to quibble about in Stupefying Stories 21, except for: at only 9 stories and 213 total pages, it was over far too quickly.  Another half-dozen tales would’ve been nice.  Then again, if that means adding a bunch of short stories that don’t measure up to these 9 in quality, I’d probably be griping about that.  Readers are a picky lot.

10 comments:

~brb said...

Thanks!

Hamilcar Barca said...

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a note. Thanks also for the kind words on your blog; the Golden Age of Blogspot may be past, but it's still nice to see that it hasn't completely died off.

I should mention that Louis Shosty had some great things to say about you on FaceBook. I don't know if you're a FB inhabitant, but Louis's comments are on a post by Marlin Williams, who is both an indie writer and a supported of the arts. It gave me some fascinating insight into the relationship between a writer and an editor.

BTW, if you would like me to cross-post the review to places like Amazon, Amazon-UK, and/or GoodReads, I'm happy to do it.

Hamilcar, aka Terry

Pete Wood said...

Thanks for taking the time to review.
What do you mean by the soul of E.T.?
Pete

Hamilcar Barca said...

Hi Pete. Thanks for stopping by!

The phrase "the soul of E.T." was meant to be a teaser to prospective readers. On one level, the aliens in Wayfaring Stranger reminded me of him - at least such as I vaguely remember from the movie - and his desire to return to his home planet.

On a deeper level, though, your story examines some fascinating topics, in particular the theological question of whether interstellar aliens, assuming they exist, have souls that need saving, according to evangelical philosophy.

Back in the day, I noticed that Pentecostals in general were very much dead set against the existence of ET's. I found this curious, since if ET's do exist, it greatly broadens a missionary's "field" to proselytize. OTOH, a Pentecostal point could be raised as to what relevance, if any, Jesus's work here on Earth has on interstellar ET's. Did he have to go die on each one? Does Eve and the serpent get replayed on every planet with sentient life? Etc.

The teaser is required to be spoiler-free, and I thought its possible multiple meanings served that purpose nicely. Finally, it should be noted that I often miss the author's message entirely ("Whoosh! There it goes! Right over my head! Again.), and you had a whole different point to make.

In any event, the review is sincere. I don't do gush reviews. Stupefying Stories 21 is an excellent collection of short stories, each one with the power to surprise the reader and to make him think.

Pete Wood said...

Neat. IF I were to make an ET analogy, on top of the very apt one you have already made, I would point out that in ET, the "alien" seemed more human than some of the Earthlings. Like the scientists at the end with all their protective gear and the sinister agents. I think that my "alien" is more human and sympathetic than some of the humans in the story-- like the bigots he keeps encountering.
Even though I wrote the story, I can't quite wrap my mind about its religious message. I did try to draw a distinction between mindless religious ritual and theology. The alien thinks about his religion more than that some of the knee jerk Christians in the story who just go through the motions. Of course, there are good Christians in the story too.
Anyhow, I really appreciate all the thought you have put into your analyis.
Pete

Hamilcar Barca said...

Agreed. Sorry for the delay in replying; I am semi-retired and my days range from "lots of spare time" to "none at all".

I think you portray Orson's humanity quite convincingly. He's not perfect - he gets frustrated and short-tempered just like any human. But he strives to overcome it, and to a large degree, succeeds.

I would also add that I think this is an effective means of reaching people about their bigotry. Simply walking up and telling them they're prejudiced won't make any headway; they'll get resentful and tune the message out. They have to confront themselves about the subject, and one way to do that is to write a short story about the subject and hope that they read it.

~brb said...

Terry,

STUPEFYING STORIES 22 is now out, in both Kindle and paperback. Can I send you a copy? Which format would you prefer?

Kind regards,
Bruce

~brb said...

> BTW, if you would like me to cross-post the review to places like Amazon, Amazon-UK, and/or GoodReads, I'm happy to do it.

YES! PLEASE!

Hamilcar Barca said...

Hi Bruce,

I would love to receive a copy of Stupefying Stories 22! I have a slight preference for the Kindle version, but frankly, either format is fine. My e-mail address is ter3600lud (at) gmail.com.

I'll cross-post the review at AMZ, AMZ-UK, and GoodReads, probably next Monday, or the weekend thereafter. I usually abridge it somewhat; I hope that's okay. I think most review readers at Amazon prefer something concise and to the point.

BTW, I had an interesting bit of serendipity last night. I was thumbing through books on my TBR shelf, and randomly picked up *The Road To Ehvenor* by Joel Rosenberg. I've only read two of his books, so am still getting used to his style. But when briefly looking at his acknowledgments in the start of the book, lo and behold, your name was the first he mentioned. :-)

Hamilcar Barca said...

Update.

I apparently no longer am eligible to post reviews at Amazon, ANAICT due to the fact that I failed to spend $50 in the past year via my Credit/Debit cards. I habitually purchase and use gift cards instead, but apparently this doesn't count towards my business activity there.

Happily, GoodReads still views me as a member in good standing, so I cross-posted a slightly-abridged version there. Hope it looks okay.

Terry